Instant Pot Singaporean Hainan Chicken with Rice
- 3 lbs. one whole chicken, gizzards removed
- 4 inches fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4 slices
- 1 bunch of scallions
- chicken broth
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE
- 1/4 cup of sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chicken fat, chopped
- 3 tbsp of fresh ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups of rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups of reserved chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
SOY DIPPING SAUCE
- 1/4 reserved fried garlic and ginger
- 4 tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of reserved chicken broth
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Cilantro (optional)
- Salt the raw chicken and then wash the chicken. Pat dry with paper towels to clean the chicken thoroughly.
- Cut any excess chicken fat and gizzards (if any) from chicken and set aside.
- Salt the chicken and stuff the chicken with ginger and scallions.
- Put the chicken into the instant pot.
- Pour chicken broth to the max line and season the broth with salt to taste. Then close the pot.
- High-pressure cook for 8 minutes and QPR (this will make the chicken broth as well).
- While waiting for the chicken to be done, wash the rice. Put the sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and chicken fat & gizzards (if any) into a large pan. Stir for 10 minutes until it starts to smell aromatic.
- Then take 1/4 of the fried ginger and garlic with chicken fat and put to the side for the sauce later.
- Add the rice into the pan with the sesame oil fried ginger and garlic and stir for 3 minutes (this will make the chicken rice).
- Transfer the chicken rice into a rice cooker pot.
- Also, transfer the chicken broth from the IP into the rice cooker pot and cook the chicken rice.
- Go back to your IP and take the chicken out and discard ginger and scallions. And then put it into an ice bath water for 5 minutes. This will stop the chicken from cooking.
- After it is done bathing in an ice bath, take the chicken out and rub sesame oil all over the chicken.
- Cut the chicken and put on a plate.
- For the sauce, pour soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chicken broth with the leftover fried garlic and ginger.
- Seasoned the broth with more salt if the taste is not to your liking.
- Cut cucumbers on the side.
- The chicken rice should be done by now. Put on a plate or bowl.
- Enjoy your hainan chicken rice!